Thursday, July 17, 2008

Lemonade Stand

When my sister and I were little we lived in Hawaii, so we didn't have a lemonade stand, we had a coconut stand. Never mind the fact that everyone in our neighborhood had a coconut tree in their backyard, we set up shop, trying to sell those coconuts. When that didn't work, we tried our hands at making leis to sell. Once I think we even sold shaved ice. That was probably our most successful venture. Although, I think we did pretty well selling perfume door to door. What was our secret formula for that perfume, you might ask? Water and flower petals in a dixie cup. I believe we sold them for a dime a piece. It's a wonder neither of us are in sales right now :)

You may be wondering why I'm bringing this up right now. Well, I made a promise to myself that I would try to buy lemonade, or coconuts, from any kids with a roadside stand, and yesterday I passed one on my way to work. I was going the wrong direction and was kind of in a hurry, so I almost didn't stop. But then I remembered my promise, so I turned around and went back. Inflation apparently hasn't affected lemonade stands yet because they were selling each glass for a quarter. It was good lemonade, and I chatted with the girls for a minute. They said business was going all right. I was glad I stopped. I couldn't help but see my sister and I in those little girls, and I had to wonder what kind of roadside stand our kids will be opening in the not too distant future.

1 comment:

Mike Hart said...

Mandy, what a great story. My mind went back to my own lemonade empire so many years ago. Inflation is real, however. My cost was just ten cents. When sales slowed, the price dropped to a nickel. I'm quite sure I didn't even break even, but what fun we had. My concotion was hand squeezed. Mike Hart